my 1994 vw jeta lost all power when i was driving and now when i try to start it

when I was driving my 1994 vw jeta lost all power the speodo and the tack just baried all the way to the max and then back to just like the key was off but the
lights were still on and now when I try to start it it cranks over but wont start and none of the warning lights come on when I turn on the key