Sealed Transmission

i know this is a CHEVY chat forum, but I need some help here. I'm very frugal, and want to do this myself, Please help me.

Ok, I know there has to be atleast one or more master mechanics in here. I own a 2003 Grand AM GT, and I want to change my transmission fluid and filter, however there is no dipstick. How do I go about checking the fluid and know how much to put back in? Couldn't I just drop the pan, then measure how much fluid came out and put the same exact amount back in, or what? Plus, is it also possible to drain the fluid out of the torque converter with the trans pan off by disconnecting on of the cooler lines?

Reply to
KMU

Trust me, there is a dipstick behind the engine for checking the tranny fluid level.

Reply to
Mad Dog

Don't be so sure, a lot of newer vehicles don't have a dip stick on the transmission. I believe they have a filler plug similar to a differential or a manual transmission. You fill until you've reached a specified level.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

There is a small plug in the end of the right side of the transmission, very close to the section of the transmission where the right axle goes into it. The procedure is like this, you would drain your fluid (remove the pan, etc), change the filter, re-install the pan, install about 6 liters of atf, start the engine, cycle through the gears, put it in park, remove that plug, and slowly fill until fluid begins to come out of the plug. That's it. Oh, and if you need to jack up the car to get at the plug, you must keep the car even, you can't just jack up the front of it. The fill plug for these transmissions is a red colored cap on the top of the trans right under the exhaust crossover. So watch that you don't burn yourself.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Tsk, tsk.....look before you leap, know before you go...and all that (grin)

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Just real curios Ian, is there an explanation for why auto manufacturers would do this? Possibly so all the work can be done under the vehicle while on the mechanics lift?

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

What about draining the torque converter?

Reply to
KMU

What about it?

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Probably to keep the customer or a shop from inadvertantly throwing something in the trans that shouldn't be there, or keep the trans from being overfilled. There is also the whole perception of "no maintenance vehicles" that the manufacturers want people to buy into. The new Equinox vehicles don't have any dipsticks and GM tells the owners that they never need to change the fluid for the life of the vehicle. And I've heard that GM is trying real hard to bring out vehicles that don't need oil changes done for 60K kilometers. Kinda like you lease the car for three years and then throw it away.

The fact is that you can still do the identical work to the transmissions that you used to be able to do...it's just a bit of a nuisance to perform the filling procedure.

The Cadillac CTS has the same type of procedure for it's transmission, but because it's a rear wheel drive car, it's a real pain in the ass to fill. Plus, the fill procedure involves getting the transmission to an "exact" temp before checking. Ridiculous....as if people are going to pay some technician an hour to "check" their trans fluid. On an oil change, I don't bother checking the trans fluid, as there is no way of doing it within the time frame of the oil change. If the trans is not leaking, it's ok. Same thing with the transmissions without dipsticks....we do not check the levels on those during a basic oil change anymore. The level plug is only used when doing a service, or when a repair has been done.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Is it possible to drain it by removeing the transmission cooler lines, I belive in totally changnig the fluid, trans pan and torque converter

Reply to
KMU

I don't think you can drain the converter on that car. That is short of removing it from the transmission.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

Ok, thanks. Guess I'll have to settle for just the pan and filter.

Reply to
KMU

You can't really drain the convertor like that. Sounds like you need what we refer to as a "flush". We have a machine that hooks in line with the cooler line and exchanges all the transmission fluid.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

yes-

so folks don't maintain the fluid, the tranny burns up, and the lot lizards that sell their products can sell them a $25.000 new car instead of a $1500 transmission.

Call me paranoid if you will-- but it's true, folks.

Reply to
burntkat

Got 2 Malibu's in my "fleet" that I wrench on with the no dip stick trannys. A '01 & '02 3.1 cars. Pan drop and filter change is a 2 gallon refill. Did the first one by checking then draining and measuring what was in it. Refill and checked out OK. It's a pain to get the car level on ramps and jack stands to run it up to temp and check the level.

2nd one got the drop, measure and refill with the amount that came out. Both cars had tight no leak trannys. With a 2 gal. change there can't be much left in that FWD trans. , haven't checked the dry fill spec. but mine were clean and in good shape so I'm not worried.
Reply to
Repairman

We do that procedure too. You can do both the regular style of "trans service" and also flush out the rest of the fluid. We run

12 liters of fluid thru the transmissions...that will pretty much clean out any transmission as far as fluid capacity goes.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

guess I'll just take it to my mechanic. Let him take the pan off and flush it for me. Guess my feat to save money was defeated by lack of equipment.

Reply to
KMU

We have a 2005 Cavalier and it has a factory sealed transmission. Suits me just fine, never bothered with the tranny until it blew anyway and they last almost forever when you don't mess with them.

-- Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl