I need some help

I just bought a used 94 Dakota V-8 4x4 with low milage. The gas guage is moving all over the place. I mean it jumps from empty to full no matter how much fuel is in the tank. How can I fix this problem. Is this something that I can do myself or do I have to take it in to get this fixed. Can anyone tell me what kind of gas milage I can expect since I do not have an accurate gass level reading?

Reply to
M_Lukachie

I have a 94 Dakota v6 3.9 that is developing the same prob.The fuel pump is a modual on mine (prob same on yours)so the pump,strainer,and gauge sending unit are all in one unit.Part from dodge dealer is $450 +$200 labor that was an estimate from my local mech.I am ging to do it my self.I looked up after market prices $175 at NAPA parts store am going to call around today to others (dont want to buy a junk unit) .Do a google search for dodge truck by amsol they have a great site with lots of info

Reply to
John

Are you sure that the sending unit is not sold separately?

Reply to
TBone

Yes I am thinking 50 to 75 bucks at a parts store for a sending unit but some new trucks have fuel pumps and sending unit as one unit.

Reply to
SnoMan

Even if they did you would be better off changing the fuel pump while you have it all apart. They don't last forever.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

While very true, it should depend on how many miles and how old the vehicle is. My 89 Nissan is still running on its original pump and so is my 97 Ram.

Reply to
TBone

I have one 16 plus years old and still going strong and with a 172K on it too.

Reply to
SnoMan

If yours is 16 years old its not in the tank as is the case with fuel injection .A lot of info on the subject is at dakota.com a site sponsered by Amsol Co.NAPA parts store sells a complete module by Carter for my 9 3.9 V6 for $175 I havent dropped the tank yet (hate the thought of doing it) but $500 saved is going to make me do it LOL JW

Reply to
John

The Nissan is a pump only replacement. Did the wifes mini van not because it failed but because it was making a buzzing sound. My dodge van has had one replacement. I had an old chrysler k car that the fuel pump failed in as well. The after market pumps seem to last forever.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

The Nissans pump is easy to get too, you don't even have to jack up the car. The Dodge is a bit more of a PITA. What I should get is a fuel pressure gauge kit since now all of my cars have FI and check them out every now and then. While there is still the chance of a burn out getting me stuck, I should be able to detect a failing pump and replace it before it gives up completely. These damn pumps are just too expensive to replace as a general maintenance item.

Reply to
TBone

Actually my GM 89 suburbans fuel pump is in the tank and you can here it too. It still sounds about the same too 16 years later. I do have a theory on pump life though in tank mounted pumps. The pump is cooled and lubed by the fuel in the tank and if you run you tank low a lot it stand to reason that pump life could be shortened. My tank never really gets much below 1/2 unless I am on a trip and then I run it pretty low before I refill it. Beside these days you do not like filling up a 40 gallon tank when it is empty either though it is great on cross country trips.

Reply to
SnoMan