91 Integra Intermittent No Start When Hot

Hello;
I have a 91 Integra GS that once it gets up to operating temp, sometimes fails to start. I've observed these symptoms:
The car runs fine until I shut it off to go into a store. Upon
restarting, the engine starts and then stalls.
When I try to restart it, it will not start and in about half of the times, the s3 indicator is flashing after the check engine goes out during key on.
Eventually I get it started. When it does start, I notice a click from under the dash(relay) when the check engine light goes out. The S3 light also quits lighting(flashing).
At first, when I would hear the click under the dash, the engine would start with no further problems. However, lately, when I hear the click, it starts and stalls, placing me back to the no start, flashing s3 scenario. After several rounds of this, I finally get the thing started.
I've never had trouble starting when the engine is cold. This only happens after I have been running the car for a few miles or more. Also, since the weather has been hot, it is happening much more frequently.
Any ideas?
TIA
On 2 Aug 2005 23:56:57 -0700, "El Chico Gordo"

The S3 light is an unusual wrinkle, but for hot start problems you should first check out the Main Fuel Injection Relay.
Do a google search on "honda main relay".

Or go to http://tegger.com/hondafaq/faq.html#stalling
Mike
That was it. Opened the thing up and resoldered the connections to the clamping diodes. The series clamping diodes generate enough heat to cause the solder connections to go bad over time. Honda should have used silver solder to prevent such a problem.
I found out while troubleshooting that the S3 light blinks when the relay is removed. It's probably detecting whether the relay coil is in circuit... probably with the bad solder joint, the computer thinks that the relay is not there.
Me car runs like a top now :-)
Natman wrote:

Had the same problem with my 91 Integra for 2 years. Last month, finally removed the main relay and resoldered all solder joints. No more problems......cranked on the hottest days so far.....104*F
Natman wrote:

I have a 91 teg also... **exactly** where is the main relay? Is it in one of those typical aluminum boxes and you just need to crack it open to work on the contacts?
Thanks very much for the advice!
--Steve
PS the car is also 'surgy' when at part throttle sometimes, sometimes when cold sometimes when hot...I am thinking this is the same issue--am I correct?

Jim Yanik
jyanik

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/startproblems.html#mainrelay
That URL is outdated. The new URL: http://www.marklamond.co.uk/howto/electrical/main-relay/main-relay.htm
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
TeGGeR wrote:

Heh... NOW you post a link :-)
Steve wrote:

Hi Steve, you pretty much need to pull the lower left dash panel which contains the coin box. The relay is located behind the location of the coin box. An M10 bolt holds it and the turn signal relay together. You will see a vertical post where they are bolted to. You will also need to remove the bolts on the left side of the dash support and pull it down to access the bolt. The main relay is a brown box about 2.5" x 1.5" x 1.5" with 8 connections on it.
The relay's casing is snapped on. You can remove it. I found that the connections did not look bad. I ended up reslodering all of the connections but the bad connection was the one to one of the clamping diodes. If you can find silver solder, use it. Silver solder will prevent future failures. Once you resolder it, spray the circuit board with a couple of coats clear lacquer. Let it dry and then pop the cover back on.

Probably not related to the relay. Could be the throttle position sensor. Could be the map sensor. A vacuum leak can even cause this. Check and see if your computer has thrown a fault code.
You will also have to pull the passenger side lower panel off and the center console in order to get to the screws on the driver's side lower dash panel......
Good Luck
El Chico Gordo wrote:

B.Creech wrote:

I only had to pull the driver's side lower dash panel. It was held on by a few phillips head screws. WHen I'm talking the lower panel, I'm talking about he one which houses the coin box.
Cheers
On my Integra...the center console covered the screws for the drivers side lower panel, and the passenger side lower panel covered the screws for the center console......so I had to remove both + the drivers side lower panerl. It was not big deal to me. I have taken those panels off many times.........relay, radio, blower motor etc.....:).
El Chico Gordo wrote:

On my 94 Integra GSR,I only had to remove the driver's side lower panel to get at the MR. It was easy. No touching the center console.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

For the '90-'93, no center console removal needed, just the knee bolster. http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/mainrelay.html
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
had the same prob your starter is goin out
Bigdog_4277 wrote:

Oh my...