Renault Espace Diesel 2.2DCi won't start when hot?

I have a 3 year old 2.2DCi Espace (40,000 miles) that will not start after it has been running for any length of time. The typical senario would be a motorway drive of more than an hour, followed by a break for half an hour. When I return to start the car, the engine turns over but does not fire up. Eventually of course, the battery goes flat and it requires a jump start from another car. Strangely, it will then start as normal? Can anyone help as Renault mechanics seem at a loss! They have changed the TDC sensor and glow plugs to no avail. The symptoms seem so specific that I would have thought anyone with a reasonable knowledge of the engine could pinpoint the problem. I presume that fuel is not being injected for some reason - and why should it then start with another battery. (I have had the battery checked and it is fine). Any one with any answers, please help - at the moment I daren't turn it off when I go on a long run! (It starts OK from cold) Cheers Gareth

Reply to
Gareth

Strange one, and I would have gone straight to all the temperature affected components like the crank angle sensor and TDC sensor- i.e. all those that the ecu looks at to reference engine speed and position. First check all connections at the starter, PSA certainly use a "starter motor is cranking the engine" feed back to the ECU, and also the engine block earth back to the battery. Run another in 0AWG if you are at in doubt, or get more than

0.3v between block and battery -ve during cranking. Bear in mind lots on the Espace is plastic, and it needs a very good ground back to 0v. If this starts to rise it will cause all sorts of problems, especially when cranking- as the starter will be earthing back through the ecu and various other componentry.

That said it should be a relatively simple task for any technition worth employing to find the fault, as all one would do is hook up the scanner, set it to live capture, get the engine hot, turn off, try to restart, and see which input the ecu isnt getting!

Try another Renault garage!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

I was going to suggest a fuel problem. Could you have a dicky cut off solenoid? Is the battery and earthing ok? My Xantia can be a little reluctant when hot but only to the extent of requiring 5 seconds cranking which I put down to the intelligent Citroen designers siting the fuel filter on top of the thermostat housing. A couple of squirts on the priming pump seems to cure the problem.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

Sorry OT Gareth, I'd love to know what you think of the Espace? I'm in the market for a second hand one (Probably the 2l 16v though as that's as far as the pennies will run) for my growing family (and mother-in-law!)...

Reply to
Matthew Augier (dps)

A friend has one of these and its on its third EGR valve. It had more or less the same symptoms.

He hates his and was lumbered with it as a company car when a colleague left. Its underpowered and uneconomical. Still, its a useful size for a family and great for taking stuff to the dump.

Dont want to put anyone off tho...

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eva

Its a DCi- common rail injection.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Which engine/model? The one I am favouring is the 2l 16v which is suppose to be 140bhp. That and carrying around 3 kids / mother in law and camping equipment, need something with a bit more space (Not sure if I can get a bus on the drive!)

Mat

Reply to
Matthew Augier (dps)

His is Diesel, I think 2.2 DCi about 52 reg

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eva

Mat - mine's a 2.2dci Grand Espace. Sounds like your like me - 3 kids and mother in law camping, skiing etc. I think its great apart from this problem of starting when hot which I think is a "one off" fault. It doesn't accelerate as fast as my Peugeot 1.9 Turbo diesel but if I wanted a sports car I would have bought one. Its really comfortable on long drives and cruises at 90+ mph (150kph - you can change the units for continental driving) very comfortably. There is loads of room in the Grand even with 7 seats in - we used to have 2 Labradors as well. I know Renault seem to be developing a bit of a reputation for unreliability but as a concept the car is perfect for our needs. I just wish we could sort out the starting - hope that helps. Thanks for your interest. Gareth

Reply to
Gareth

Thanks Tim for your comprehensive suggestions - as you say, a competent technician should be able to locate the fault. I'm not a mechanic and only have a basic knowledge of diesel cars so a lot of what you have suggested doesn't mean much to me but I will go along to another Renault garage and see what they say. I really appreciate the trouble you have gone to to write in such detail. As I said in the original posting, It's a real worry now every time we go any distance. All the best Gareth

Reply to
Gareth

Thought you might be interested to hear that my car problem was finally resolved. It was one faulty injector that was leaking pressure. Don't know why it happened only when hot. Anyway now works perfectly. Not thanks to Reg Vardy who didn't resolve the problem. However, can whole heartedly recommend Charlton's of Boroughbridge and the managing director of Renault UK who sorted it all out. Thanks for everyone's help. Gareth

Reply to
gareth.seaborne