95 Integra: intermittent start problem

1995 Integra GSR 185k miles

Periodically the car will not start when I turn the key: there is a quiet hum, no clicking sound. It may start after a couples tries, or I wind up rolling it and popping the clutch to bump start.

I've been reading about solenoid rebuilds, but those posts / threads / articles always talk about hearing a clicking sound- mine just hums.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Dave O

Reply to
DaveO

There has been a lot of discussion about a main relay being a problem that can cause this. Google this group for "main relay", I'm sure you'll pull up a more than a few discussions. Also check out Tegger's site, he has quite a lot of information there.....

Stewart

Hope it's the problem...good luck.

Reply to
Stewart

The main relay is a fuel pump relay. Symptom is lots of crank but no start. Sounds like Dave's problem is that it won't crank. Probably a starter going bad but check the wiring first if it isn't getting voltage it isn't going to crank. .

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

I guess it could even be the battery. He could put a voltmeter on it and have someone try to crank it....if there is a large voltage drop it's probably the battery....another way to tell is if the dome light blinks out when the key is turned.....

Reply to
Stewart