1991 audi 100 sputtering when driving.

I have a 1991 audi 100 5cyl, automatic, and it hesitates while driving, it will run fine then start to sputter, like their is not enough fuel, then when I punch the accelerator, it will take off and be ok for the next
several miles then it will start again,.
could the oxygen sensor cause this? It also idle's a little rough. maybe idle stabalizer? would that cause the rough sputtering when driving?
I have a new fuel pump, and filter,
any sugestions?
thanks in advance
{paul wrote:

Did you wash the engine recently and get moisture in the distributor?

Probably not.
It also idle's a little rough. maybe

No. Only affects idle.

Could be the air filter. Makes a big difference if your is old.
Vacuume leak is likely cause but plugs and wires could be bad too. A fuel pump relay going bad could also act like this.

thanks for the hints. And Yes I did wash the engine--- but I believe it was doing this before... I will check the fuel pump relay and the other items,.
thanks!

it
WD40 is your friend :-) Especially check the leads to the spark plugs.
--
Christopher Roberts