Whistling A4

My 1999 1.8 A4 has a high pitched whine, or whistle, between 58 and 62mph. Hard to say where it is coming from. It's not loud but it is annoying, garage here suggested that it "comes as standard" Yeah, right ! Any ideas ?

Thanks all.

Reply to
Rob.

A-pillar wind noise...

Reply to
daytripper

Try placing a small piece of paper between your mirror base plate and your "a" piller. I found on mine that is were the sound was coming from. If that is were it is coming from try putting a small amount of silcone under the place ( "NOT" the silcone glue, the silcone lube ). That worked for me so far. If that is not were the sound is coming from try the top of your wind screen. To test this place a long piece of electrical tape from the wind screen to the roof and another from the bottom of the first to the actuall windscreen it self. This should cover any lips that would be catching the wind and making any sound. If that removes the sound you might need a new wind screen or just have the current one pushed back in if that is possible. The last place, or I sould say the first place is the doors. Are you door moldings frozen? Last winter the door moldings on all four doors got wet the night before it got below freezing. The next day they were froze in the position of the door being closed as it was the night before. Well the door didn't shut the same due to resistance from the froozen molding and it made a small wistle sound on the highway. Check all those if none of them help, I don't know what to tell you. Those are just things I have ran into and found out over the last 3 years.

Hope that helps, My first post by the way. My name is Jim, I am in Indianapolis, Indiana. Anyone else on here from around Indy?

Jim Good

98.5 A4 2.8 qUattro

Reply to
Jim Good

Sounds right. I have same issue in my A4 and my A6 at highway speeds.

Reply to
silver30v

Welcome to the club Jim.

Romy