1997 A4 - No Radio Reception after "professional" After market install

Hi there....I own a 97 A4 1.8T and it came with a "power package" stereo (delta unit with Casette only!)

Recently, I decided to upgrade the stereo...so I went to local Future Shop (Canada) and purchased a Kenwood MP3 Deck. Not wanting to mess around with the electronics stuff, I paid them to install it for me.

Anyhow... My $50 install ended up costing me around $120 + with all this extra stuff they kept telling me I needed....and after it was all done and I drove the car home, I noticed there was NO RADIO reception.... FM was still OK - I could get most of the local channels.... but AM was TERRIBLE! Nothing at all....

So I took it back to these 'professionals" and they told me it needed a signal booster...but they did not have one in stock...so I drove to the next FS store 45 mins the other direction... got the booster installed.... still nothing! I told the guy this, and he said 'oh, you have to go to this other store which has more of those boosters so they can maybe try another one..."

Alrite...so I went there and the guy gave me soem attitude and then finally told me " This car has no antenna so you wont get radio...If radio is that important to you, maybe you should put the stock radio back in! "

Obviously, I told him what I thought of all this BS....no such thing as service anymore...

well, what should I do!! I know that the no antenna thing is BS...a buddy of mine has a 96 A6 and his radio works just fine (another Kenwood deck...also installed by FS in a different city)....so how can I fix this? Is there any device that may help with this that I can ask these ($#*&%)&W%)$)& to install in there!?!?

I am a little upset at the way these idiots deal with their customers... what can I do?

please help :) thanks ash

Reply to
Ash Mann

You can either put up or shut up, or see what your Audi dealer recommends,

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s

Hi Ash

I have managed to overcome my arachnophobia enough to write this:

My old 90E has no external aerial, it uses the top two runners of the rear window demister. It has a signal booster (OEM) fitted in the left hand C pillar. I had the same trouble as you - I bought this car with an aftermarket radio, which had ok FM but no AM reception. It turned out the signal booster power supply was forgotten when the replacement radio was fitted. I'm not an expert, but I don't think fitting another RF amplifier in series with the non working OEM one will ever work.

Hope this helps

Queen Rachael of USENET (don't know why it's in caps, but I saw an expert write it that way)

PS I'm sure you could have found this information by correctly using your internet search engine(s). You really shouldn't bother the alt...audi newsgroup dwellers with questions concerning Audis.

Reply to
Rachael

Obviously not. It seems as though you wish to engage in yet another off-topic flame war because your feelings are still hurt from last time.

This is probably a correct assumption, but asking a professional might be the best course. Other than just removing the OEM booster and trying the AM one.

Oh, I'm wounded by your biting sarcasm.

Nope. Please learn to differentiate between oft-asked questions that have detailed answers (descriptions of the different quattro systems, and their platform applications) and very specialized ones.

Ahh, you do wish to engage in another flamewar. So, by misrepresenting my opinion on the matter, you seek to score some phantom points somewhere.

LOL. You thin-skinned whiners really make me laugh.

Spider

Reply to
Spider

She's just giving me backhand criticism for a flamewar she started but couldn't finish. Then she killfiled me, and announced it to the world. Hey, isn't that sorta like calling up telemarketers to tell them you put yourself on the do-not-call list? LOL.

I love it when USENET newbs get in over their heads.

For this particular question, I would agree. For such questions as "what's the relationship between Audi and BMW," or "what is quattro," I would think that the answers that you could look up on your own would carry a bit more weight. But people are so damn lazy nowadays...

Spider

Reply to
Spider

You consider this newsgroup the world. That just about sums you up doesn't it.

And Mr Breakneck, the term "Professional," like "Engineer," has in recent times become rather diluted in meaning, as this poor chap has discovered.

Kind regards

Rachael

Reply to
Rachael

Ah, yes - the timeless newbie classic: "I'm saying I'm killfiling you, but I'm really not." Precious, simply precious.

Wow, really? Here all along I thought that this newsgroup was read around the world. You mean I really think it *is* the world? How could I have been so wrong?

ROTFL!

Well, I think your straw-grasping sums you up pretty well. Friendly (no, really) advice: quit while you're behind.

It depends on if you take the actual meaning of the word or it's accepted connotation. In a profit-driven world, they'd rather you throw money at a problem to fix it, rather than put any real effort into fixing their original mistake (which, BTW, would have to be done gratis, in all likelihood.)

Spider

Reply to
Spider

Firstly, my apologies to subscribers to this newsgroup, with one exception, for this getting off topic.

My dear eight legged one, I can only repeat *your* bleating.......

You are the one who insists on clarity of meaning and berates those of us who, in your opinion, transgress. Bluster and guff about semantics all you like, you can't have it both ways. The above is perfectly clear and concise. It conveys both your naiivety and grandiose mentality very clearly to me. Did you really think I would bother to even click a mouse button to get rid of your cluttering of this newsgroup? Just because you are, don't assume that I am entirely dependent on software to pick out meaningful and relevant information from the background radiation.

What is this bit of waffle about? You are obviously not an engineer, nor do you have any notion of how to make a profit. I invite you to ask why I think this. Then again, please don't bother.

I must say I am intrigued as to what drives you to post to this newsgroup. I've only been reading here a couple of years and admittedly only on and off, choosing topics that look interesting. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough or used the right search criteria, but I haven't yet seen a helpful, civil, amusing or relevant contribution from you. But as you (would like to) give the impression you are a grand master of USENET, I suppose it's acceptable to post such material as I have seen emanating from your hutch. Thus, I won't try to be helpful or civil to you. This post isn't particularly amusing and it certainly isn't relevant to RF amplifiers. All I have seen so far is your attempt to take the p*ss out of another subscriber and making a tw*t of yourself because you failed to read their question properly. Elsewhere you chip in with more risible attempts at humour at someone else's expense, or so you seem to think. You poor boy. Were you bullied at school? Was there some terrible accident when you were circumcised?

I really have to admire your tenacity especially since you apparently have only one hand free to type with. I just don't have the willpower,and I had better quit before I fall even further into the shadow of your masterful command of language and USENET etttiquette.

Please be my guest and have the last word, I know it means so much to you......

Reply to
Rachael

Children, please..

Missing the subject line in a reply is a fairly easy mistake to make, Google is useful but doesn't necessarily impart a deal of confidence - even the best names in manuals and site design can make quite serious errors[1], making Usenet kinda useful! And, of course, that intercooler stuff is in another thread, on another froup[2]

Let's get back to cars.. it's a shame to see car nuts beating each other up. Politicians, that's different. And possibly lawyers.

Hmm. Best stop there, methinks ;o)

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

This is usually one of the ideas I rebel against - the idea that anyone can assert parental influence via electronic media, with no hope of enforcement.

Indeed. But that does not in any way imply that USENET should be the very first stop a person should make. Considering the way BS flies in newsgroups (like engine type and configuration of the TT-S, ferinstance), I would suggest that USENET should be used judiciously, at best.

Awww, why not move right to religious zealots? Sexual orientation? LOL.

In any case - Harry, you have been quite polite in this post, and I will be polite right back:

I will respectfully decline your implied request. I reserve the right to post in a manner that I see fit, and recognize the rights of others to do the same. I refuse to be a punching bag for those who feel inferior, have thin skins, or are generally pissy about anything that doesn't meet their standards. I have always maintained that people read and respond with 100% free will, and thus have the ultimate responsibility for what they read and write in USENET. I thank you for your concern, and I do actually understand your POV, and accept it as the preferred "way."

Regards,

Bob (Spider)

Reply to
Spider

Fair enough - the only problem with ignoring netiquette is a tendency to get kill-filed..

H1K (just pointing it out, not doing it..)

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

Yes, that is a risk. But I do not take my postings seriously enough to consider that a problem. I support each individual's right to read or not read as s/he desires. And if that means I end up in a killfile or three, then so be it. In fact, I encourage folks to killfile me, if that's what it takes to get them to not read my posts.

Thank you for your reply.

Regards,

Spider

Reply to
Spider

The problem is that generally, if it continues for long enough, people will complain to your ISP and you find that you'll lose your account. I doubt its worth it over such a trivial matter.

Reply to
Graham

If that was much of a probability, I would concur. Because the alt.* groups of the hierarchy are much looser in their "posting rules," it is difficult to violate one of their charters. You really have to work at it! :)

There is a fellow who posts to sci.environment - Mike Vandeman. His vocal, extremist stances on wilderness access issues are roundly crossposted and his writings are almost universally reviled. And yet he hasn't lost his ISP. His posting rarely fail to generate flames and then degenerate into pissing matches, but yet he retains his access via pacbell.net. The bar is really high for alt.* groups - physical threats, SPAMming, and the like would probably get you cancelled. Anything less? Not very likely.

Spider

Reply to
Spider

Incorrect.

Chances are, either the abuse team are otherwise occupied/useless, the Charter allows idiots to post, or noone who knows how a killfile works is bothered to do something "scary".

Type "altavoz" into Deja/Google Groups for an example of what /used/ to happen when someone peed-off a sufficient number of people..[1]

Reply to
Hairy One Kenobi

I know for a fact that folks have tried to get his ISP to drop him for years. And they don't. I also know for a fact that in order to have service cancelled, you need to violate ToS - and USENET flamewars are

*usually* not sufficient cause. A friend in Canada who works at an ISP says that USENET complaints are routinely thrown out, unless it's about SPAM or contains libel/threats. He says he gets a lot of "sour grapes" e-mails, but so far has cancelled one guy due to SPAMming USENET. None for "abuse." :)

WOW! This guy really worked hard at it - I humble myself before the flaming master! LOL.

Heh. Good one.

I do recognize your point, however. I will keep it in mind, of course. ;)

Spider

Reply to
Spider