AM Radio Reception in S60R

Does anyone else have poor AM Radio reception in S60's.

I have a '04 S60R and it's really poor. If anyone has encounted the problem or fixed it, I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers,

Mark

Reply to
Mark Rayner

Good luck we're working on the same problem with many cars.

Reply to
red raider

In the past there was antenna tuning adjustment at the rear of the radio near where the coaxial antenna cable enters the radio. The procedure is to tune the radio to a weak station at the bottom end of the band (550KHz) and adjust it for maximum signal. I do not know if newer radios come with this necessity.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Ditto here. Isn't the antennae in the windshied? p.

Reply to
Paul_B

There is a tech note about this 39-35 this usually solves the am problem I would send the tech note but my isp does not allow it to be sent Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

Can yo send it using this?

I would not mind seeing it either.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Reply to
Boris Mohar

8mm [5/16²]

45 deg

NO: 39-35

DATE: 04/03/2003

MODEL/YEAR: S80 MY 99 à, S60 MY 01 à

SUBJECT: Poor AM Reception

CHASSIS:

REFERENCE: Service Bulletin 39-0018 and 39-0025

Cases have been reported in which AM static will increase and maintain a higher level, resulting in

complaints of poor AM reception. The increase in AM static may be triggered by several reasons,

including: bumps in the road, closing the doors. The AM static will stop by several reasons, including:

Central Door Lock activation, rear defrost activation, touching the trim covering the antenna amplifier.

SERVICE:

It has been determine the increase in AM static is due to a loose connection between the antenna

amplifier and antenna cable. To improve the connection (and AM reception), this Tech Net Note

provides instructions to install a brass strip, Part Number 30657370.

The brass strip must be bent as illustrated:

NOTE: It is critical not to exceed the 8 mm (5/16") length. If this length is exceeded, it will result is

worse reception.

Tech-Net Notes

"Fixed Right - First Time"

Volvo Technicians, Service and Parts Managers

Install the brass strip into the antenna amplifier as illustrated:

Install antenna cable so that the locking clips are not on top of the brass strip. It may help to push the

locking clips to help seat properly.

NOTE: After the antenna cable has been installed, pull the antenna cable to verify the locking clips are

holding the antenna cable in the proper position. If the antenna cable releases easily, the locking clips

were not seated.

Picture of antenna amplifier after brass strip has been installed:

Tape used

to secure

brass strip

Brass strip

Locking clips

(push at this

point and on

opposite

side to help

seat locking

clip)

Bend brass strip

to curve at base

of connector

8mm [5/16²] (do not exceed this length)

Apply tape to

secure brass strip

WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION

LABOR OP LABOR DESCRIPTION LABOR TIME

99042-2 Antenna Amplifier 1 side modifying S60 0.3 hr

S80 0.6 hr

Claims may be submitted under the New Car warranty when there is a documented customer complaint using claim type: 01

VOLVO for life,

Volvo Cars of North America, LLC.

Technical Service

Please read, initial and circulate:

____Svc Mgr ____ Parts Mgr ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ TECHS

____Wty Administrator

Reply to
Brian V

I would like to have a copy, too. What type of file is it that is not allowed (or is it too big)? If it is just the file type you can change the type (such as 39-35.pdf to 39-35.pd_ and then you can send it.

Thanks Glenn,

Allen

Reply to
Allen

this helps all Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

Glenn

That is brilliant help, thank you. My car runs out of warranty early next year, so I will now have the ammunition I need in case they don't want to do anything about it!

Thanks again Glenn very much appreciated.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Rayner

Thank you Glenn, perfect!