A4 year recommendation

I'm going to buy an A4 1.8, manual, quattro, either 96, 97, 98, or 99.
Are there any major differences between these years with respect to tuning ability, reliability, etc.
Also, I have a 2000 Passat 1.8 with 42000 miles that still runs well, how does this engine run at 80000 and beyond.
Thanks in advance, CS
(Chris) wrote:

Thanks, to clarify I am in America and plan on purchasing a 1.8T.
CS
snipped-for-privacy@moodynolan.com (Chris) wrote in message (Chris) wrote:

2001.
Good luck, and happy Audi ownership.
Spider
(Chris) wrote:

1.8T
I think the original poster specified a span of 96-99. But big improvements were made in 00 and 01. The A4 got a facelift in 2000, and the 1.8T got more hp in 2001.
-- Matt
(Chris) wrote:

Ideally, yes, I'd like a 2001 but cost is an issue. I'd like to spend $13,000 or less so that's why I choose 99 or older. Thanks for the suggestions.
(Chris) wrote:

In addition, a '99 would be off warranty, while the '01 would not (maybe.)
IMO, the extra spent for the '01 would be worth it, from a standpoint of 30 extra HP, fixes to the front susp. (IIRC, again) and that the dreaded timing belt change is not quite due yet, while a '99 might be overdue, to the tune of about $1000 (or, if you wait long enough, $5000 or so.)
But if there's only $13k to spend, don't spend it all on the car purchase. You're going to need to do the t-belt (probably) and brakes (probably.) If you have that done at a stealership, I'd guess (conservatively - you could most likely get these things cheaper) that you'd be down $2000. At an independent shop, you would most likely get a much better deal.
That would be part of my calculus, which might put the '01 in reach. Something to think about...
Spider