A6 Starting Difficulties

Dear All
Has anyone experienced starting difficulties with the A6? My (recently purchased) 98 2.4 auto tip starts with the first turn of the key most
of the time, but a few times a week (used every day for work, domestic stuff etc) it doesn't. I then have to coax it into life using varying amounts of accelerator. At its worst I can spend up to a minute trying to get it going.
It always starts fine from cold in the mornings the starting problem so far has been after it's been parked-up all day (say at work) or after only a few minutes of being parked-up (say after refuelling).
Anyone had experience of this or can suggest causes / remedies?
Many thanks - Graham

Does it spark up and then die immediately? If so, had a similar problem with a SEAT and after slapping the fuel pump relay around it hasn't come back.

Hi Stuart
Sparking up and dying isn't a symptom. The engine turns over fine, but fails to catch (spark up). I need to use copious amounts of accelerator to get it to start - sometimes for quite a long time. It's as if fuel isn't getting through when the engine is being turned over. Once the engine starts it runs fine though. The maddening thing is that the problem is intermittant - just a few times a week - and I suspect it's going to be hard for my garage to find anything to fix.
Cheers - Graham
Graham I had the same problem on my 2.8A6Q.
First time it happened I had to call the RAC out as thought it was a gonner!
He said its a common prob.
Have to crank it continiously without any accelerator for about 40 seconds, then it bursts into life.
Was very intermittant on mine. When dealer looked there were no engine codes.
John.

Hi John
Had my A6 checked out today - as with your car there were no error codes. One suggestion was that the brand of fuel I use could be causing the problem. I normally fill up at the supermarket and the suggestion was that supermarket fuels are not as good as the non-supermarket type. Got to be worth a try...
Cheers - Graham