Speaker wiring difficulties

I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee and replaced the original radio with new this past Christmas. All went well until about 2 weeks ago. Now none of the speakers will produce sound.

When I check for sound at the connections behind the radio with one of the speakers all is well. All four channels work.

I inspected the door connections and cables and did find some wear on the front left door wiring but made reapirs all is OK. I can not find continuity with an ohm meter for any of the spreaker wires at the dash. It seems odd that all of the speakers stopped working at the same time.

Is there a connection plug between the dash (radio) and the speakers that could cause this problem?

Right now I am ready just to rewire, but I am frustrated that I can't find the problem.

Thanks for any input that might help.

Reply to
dalenichols

Sounds like you have an open circut on the ground loop wire.

  1. Pull the harness off the back of the radio.

  1. Pull the wiring harness off each speaker.

  2. Check for continuity in each wire, then check for continuity to ground.

If all of this checks out (doubtful!), then proceed to hooking up the wiring harness back to the radio, and hook up one speaker at a time and test. It's possible that an internal short in one speaker can be shorting the entire thing out, and this will find it.

I think you'll find that one (or more) of the wires are shorted to ground, causing nothing to work. I've got $20 bucks in play money on this one.

Reply to
Outatime

Thanks for the feedback. I removed the wiring harness from the back of the radio. Measured for continuity for each wire and could find none. Not one wire has continuity, and not any are shorted to ground. I have given up and rewired the speakers and they are working fine.

I can not understand this, it is like the wiring was severed.

New wiring works great and now I guess it is time to move on.

Thanks

Reply to
dalenichols

You're welcome. However, this does call for an investigation in my book. If none have any continuity at all, I think your guess is right on: something severed the entire thing. Just out of sheer curiosity, I'd trace every one of them to find out WTH happened to them.

I once did this accidentally. Pulled the steering column of an old Dodge to replace the turn signal switch and wiring. 100 miles after buttoning it all back up, everything quit working and fuses popped left and right. The cause: the wire harness was caught between the steering support harness and the dash, and when it was tightened up with a rachet, everything was severed, or nearly so; it lasted a couple of hours before bare metal wiring made contact with ground enough to start the fireworks show.

Glad to hear it's working again; at least you sort-of know what happened and could just rewire.

Reply to
Outatime