Carisma Starting problems

Hi

Have a 2001 carisma 1.6 having done 46000 miles and good service history etc. Have given it a new timing belt as well.

In the last few days, when starting it has cut out after about two seconds. It then gets more and more difficult to start. If I leave it for a while though it is usually ok.

Have replaced the spark plugs but this has not helped.

Any ideas?

If it is the oxygen sensor, how much will it cost approx?

Thanks

Ian

Reply to
NewModelArmy

Its not the O2 sensor. Check

- the fuel pressure

- the fuel filter

- the coolant temp sensor connection

- the ECU for leaking capacitors.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

I have a 1996 1.8 with 111,000 mies on it ....

To eliminate fuel problem as a source of problems try injecting some propane gas into the air intake .... front near side of car by the battery. The usual caveats about safety and flammable hydrocarbon gas apply. If it keeps running you have fuel supply problem somehere.

Can you hear the fuel lift pump in the tank whining away ?

I use this technique to send the mixture rich when checking the oxygen senor.

Also I have seen the crank position sensor mentioned.

Also recently I have had to replace the distrubutor cap and rotor

- this caused rough running on damp days.

Reply to
C W