Anyone here ever rebuild the 3spd transmission?

I'm attempting to rebuild a 91 200 turbo transmission with the help of a mechanic friend of mine. I've studied the Bentley manual and it appears these are not that complicated. That being said, I'm sure they are not
simple either. Anyone have any experience with this job and would like to share your thoughts. Am I crazy to take this on? Its not rocket science is it?
TIA!
A number of people have done this and there are threads on the subject on AudiWorld T44 forum. http://forums.audiworld.com/v8 /