020 transmission rebuild?

I have a 96 A3 Jetta with 285km. The tranny main shaft bearing & 1st gear syncro have are on their way out. How difficult is it for a home mechanic to rebuild one of these animals (code DFQ26016)? Choices aren't good, given that I don't want to scrap the car & it would be worth more to me to keep it as still drives like a new car. In the last year I've put in a new ignition, cross-drilled brembos, eibach springs & koni reds. My choices seem to be:

1/ Attempting a rebuild with a C$300 kit; 2/ Paying C$1500 for a tranny shop to rebuild it; 3/ Tryng to find low mileage tranny from a wreckers at a reasonable price (the best I've managed to find is a 120k tranny for C$1000).

Anyone with advice, suggestions or transmissions, I'd like to hear from you.

I'm in Ontario, Canada. Gavin

Reply to
G&K Russell

Rick

Call up The Source (416) 742-5559 if you're in or near Toronto (they're in the West end). I recently picked up a mint 9A (close ratio) for my '89 for $200. The A3's *shouldn't* be much more expensive. The owner's name is Mike, tell him I sent you :-). It's the cheapest wrecker I've found in T.O.

As for the rebuild, I've only worked on A2 trannies but if VW hasn't changed, you'll need a couple 12-point (triple square; see Snap-On) sockets, a gear puller (or two big screwdrivers), and a good set of retaining ring pliers.

Oh, the mainshaft bearing will probably have to be pulled by a tranny shop unless you have access to the proper bearing puller (it's a funky one). How do you know the mainshaft bearing is shot?

Darryl.

Reply to
Darryl