Audi A6 Wipers...Help Please

My wipers on my A6 Avant have slowed right down,and have now started to stop altogether,then start again slowly,any ideas...is it a relay,or the motor???or any other problem causing this rgds...sjfedex

Reply to
sjfedex

Probable cause and how to fix it is described here:

The wipers on the A6 and A4 are very similar, I followed this procedure to fix the wipers on my 2002 A6. Biggest problem was to wiggle the wiper assembly out from its cramped space after you have loosened it.

Rolf

"sjfedex" skrev i melding news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...

Reply to
Rolf Toven

I have the exact same problem. I noticed that the drain for the "bay" where the motor sits was clogged by leaves, so the motor could have been under water. But I'm not sure. Let me know if you find out anything. :) The wipers seem allright when the windsheild is really wet, but if I run them once to remove the moist in the morning, the wipers are crawling and sometimes stop.

Jone T. '02 A6 Avant 1.9TDI

Reply to
Jone T.

This all sounds familiar. I had the flooding issue caused by blocked drain under the battery. (giving many gremlins as well as wiper problems) The wiper motor had definitely been under water. Symptoms were exactly as described below. To cure the fault I had to remove the motor itself after extracting the whole wiper assembly. On removing the motor end plate, water escaped. At first I thought that rusting of the armature had closed the air gap and that there was mechanical resistance to rotation. However, after cleaning up the armature this proved not to be the cause. There is a small board within the motor containing an overcurrent protection device in the ground connection to the motor. Maybe this has ferrous components or is harmed in some other way by water, but it was certainly the culprit in my case. As a "temporary fix" I soldered a link wire across the device, and the wipers have been working fine since then. (is 6 months considered temporary ?) The correct fix would be to fit a new motor, or replace the overcurrent protection. My procedure was rather fiddly and I 'm not sure if there may have been some demagnetisation as a result of withdrawing the motor armature. It also removed some electrical protection from the motor so could cause damage to the motor itself if the wipers are e.g. frozen to the windscreen. It's a risk I was prepared to take. Hope this helps Ian '99 A6 Avant 1.8T

Reply to
Ian G

Hi all, Thx for all your help,will look at it over the weekend,and post an update of outcome rgds sjfedex

Reply to
sjfedex

Hi all, Update on my wiper problem..purchased new linkage & used motor,and replaced them,as one of the spindles had seized solid.It was amazing the motor even moved the wipers at all.The job is a bit fiddly,but with care it takes about 90 mins.All up and running ok now,thx to all your help. rgds sjfedex

Reply to
sjfedex

Out of interest, how much was the new linkage ?

Richard

Reply to
Richard Goulding

Hi, The motor was £40 + vat from a breakers,and the linkage was £50.21 + vat from Audi main dealer..Hope this helps rgds sjfedex

Reply to
sjfedex