Comments on <99 A4 1.8T

Hi there, I'm thinking of getting a 1.8T to replace my 95 1.8 Auto, but I'm worried that the <99 models will have the same problem as mine: immobiliser
reader coil not recognising key. Do the >96 models come with foldaway keys with remote c/l? I have the impression that only the 95/early 96 models have the normal key with no remote c/l. Any other potential problems with the <99 1.8Ts? And what kind of mileage can a 1.8T take before it begins to die?
Cheers, Jules
Add pictures here
‚úĖ