Engine cleaning

I have recently bought an A6 with a 2.4 engine. The car has done 50,000 miles and the engine bay looks like it!
Has anybody any advice on the best and safest way to smarten up under the
bonnet/hood without destroying all the electronics?
Buster

You're right to be wary - steam cleaning can be a bit risky.. Gunk[1] and (several) washing-up brushes (the ones with the long handle) have worked pretty well in the past, but - if you want it /really/ clean, then you may well end up having it /professionally/ steam cleaned. "Professional" as in all the electronics being covered/removed, then cleaned by hand. Expensive..
--

Hairy One Kenobi

Simple Green is also a safe, bio-degradable degreaser that I have used often. I cover only the distributor on my car. Works fine, no electronics damage.
--
Stephen Clark