Fix for high oil consumption - New Spark plug, new valve stem on number 5 and seal

I am very challenged - although I do try google to resolve my ignorance - when it comes to cars and how they work.

I have received my A6 back from the dealer as it was asking for oil, from full, after 500 miles cruising on the motorway at a steady 80/85 mph.

Still under warranty, 3.2 FSI V6, nearly 3 yrs old, 40K on the clock and fully serviced they have replaced and removed all plugs, fitted a new valve stem and seal on number 5 - whatever that means.

Do you seasoned Audi guys think this will resolve the issue.

BYW there was no visible oil leakage.

Thanks in advance Mick

Reply to
Mick x

If there really was no oil leakage, then I can't think of any other place for so much oiul to go but out the tailpipe meaning that it was getting into the combustion chambers and being burned. Getting past a valve seal is one way for that to happen. However, I would think that with your oil consumption - I assume 500 m/qt - that you would have been noticing some tell tale bluish smoke out of the exhaust. Was that the case?

Reply to
iws

No sign of smoke that I have noticed.

I have a 600 mile trip to do today so will report back - fingers crossed.

Reply to
Mick x

If valve stem has been replaced, that means a valve has been replaced as the stem is forged to the head of the valve. If they suspect that valve stem/ guide clearance is the problem, as it would appear from the components they have replaced in an attempt to cure the problem, the actual problem, they suspect, may be wear in the valve guide. It used to be possible to press out an old guide and press in a new one into the cylinder head. If they really have changed a valve then they must have removed the cylinder head, in which case why didn't they change the guide at the same time to totally kill excessive clearance between the two as a problem. On the other hand a valve seal fits on the camshaft end of the valve and can be changed without removal of the cylinder head. Quick fix? Has the valve "stem" been changed?

If you have been consuming excessive amounts of oil that are going down the exhaust pipe, I would also be mentioning to your stealer the effect of this upon the catalytic converter, they don't like swallowing too many of the additives contained in oil, the catalyst becomes "plated" and unable to perform it's designed function.

There are only a few ways an engine can lose oil.

Past the piston rings.

Into the coolant circuit.

Down the valve guides.

External oil leaks.

It shouldn't be beyond the wit of your stealer to determine which of these is the case - and then to cure it.

The trick is to get them to concentrate long enough on your problem to properly address it, they would far sooner be selling new cars.

Kick ass, they're just spinning time until the end of the warranty!

Reply to
Sidney

I use a school book to keep a record of events such as putting in oil: the date, how many miles done and about how much etc. The replies you have had seem to cover most of what may be said. You could take the car to an independant mechanic who may be able to see if the cylinder head has been removed. They may not make any charge for this as it could take but a few minutes. Ask, some are very helpful.

Reply to
neeoup

Well the oil issue seems to be resolved, however, on a round trip to Manchester on the first day of picking it up (had been 10 days with the garage) it broke down - a worn coil.......

So that's it, is now is fixed and sold.

I am going to the dark side - BMW

Reply to
Mick x

In message , Mick x writes

Hmmm - less than 3yrs old A6 3.2V6, problems just fixed (under warranty?). Perhaps whoever bought it has got a bargain.

Reply to
Dave N

Or a barrow load of problems..........

Reply to
Mick x

Wouldn't that depend partly on how the previous owner had treated it? :^)

Seriously, what else gave you problems or you disliked about it?

Reply to
Dave N

What makes you think they're any better?

The coil pack issue affects more than just VAG cars. It's just that VAG were the worst affected.

Reply to
Dave

In all fairness and stating the obvious there are millions of happy Audi drivers that can rightly sing Audi praise from the roof top - I have just been unlucky and currently have a bad taste.

From faulty boot locks, intermittent starting problems, oil and EPM issues it seems my second home home has been the dealership and I or the car have been a Jonah over the last nine months :)

Never owned a beamer, like the X5 and think the change will flip my luck.

Happy motoring......

Reply to
Mick x

Oh joy! Another Chelsea tractor clogging the roads.

Reply to
Dave

I'm here because I lemon-lawed my 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid. It averaged maybe 6 hours a month in dealership labor plus it had the occasional replacement of a major engine system. Can you imagine paying for that when the warranty runs out? I couldn't have even sold it because any decent test drive would have brought up OBD codes that would fail a smog check. It scared the crap out of me. Sometimes you have to get rid of a car.

Reply to
Kevin McMurtrie

Well I live in Dorset where tractors are common :)

Reply to
Mick x

Am hearing you, sometimes you just loose faith with your wheels and have no confidence in making the local shops let alone a long haul.

Reply to
Mick x