Line-in Ipod connection for a 1997 A3 with AU-650

Hi, does anyone know if its possible to connect an Ipod to the CD changer control on the standard radio (an AU-650) in a 1997 A3. I'd rather connected directly rather than use a FM transmitter or cassette
adapter if possible.
There seems to be Ipod adapters from 1998 onwards, but can I just connect to the line-in on the CD changer somehow. Thanks............