Re: Is all diesel the same?

Hi I'm from the UK. I've just taken delivery of my first ever Diesel.
(Audi A3 2.0 Litre TDI, http://www.cardomain.com/id/17539 ).
Sceptacal at first... but beginning to know the hype of diesel. The
Advantages so far... 1) Road Tax is cheaper. I pay just 115 pounds a year equiv to a small VW Polo or Renault Clio. 2) On a single 55 Litre Tank it's capable of a range of 500 miles. 3) It has a turbo and it's over taking capablilties is breath taking at the right Revs. 4) Servicing is every 30,000 miles or 2 years.
I've just did a test of my own. And yeah I do recommend BP Ultimate Diesel (Centene Level 57/58). It does quiet it down a little and this is noticable. Performance wise it feels more better in pulling power. It's almost Petrol like in some cases.
Previously I tried a little supermarket stuff at my local Tesco's (Cetene Level 51)... Never again! It sounded like a truck most of the time!
Shell are due to release "Diesel Extra", it's widely available up north in England. But is slowly being available to us Southerners. Closest I've seen is Letchworth in Hertfordshire so far (2004). But BP Ultimate Diesel is already beaten the race to get down south.
have to say i'm pretty impressed by BP Ultimate too, i took delivery of my A4 2.5 TDI quattro sport 2 weeks ago and the dealer recommended it. (that's what they filled her with).

On Sun, 16 May 2004 18:55:19 -0400, "Jonno"

I've got a late '95 A4 1.9 TDi

Really? I thought the cheapo option on road tax was just for small petrol engines - 1.3L and below. Thanks for the heads up on that.

I've managed 585 miles on 54 litres, which gives a scratch over 50mpg. I think having the air con on during the summer will cut that down though. This was just using Tesco's city diesel on a car with 147,000 miles on the clock.

I'll give that a go next time I fill up. Which is rarely now ;)
Cheers for the info.
Dave

For cars registered from March 2001 onwards, the road tax is based upon the official CO2 emissions figure. However, for a given level of emission, a diesel-engined car is always slightly more expensive than a petrol one. For instance. my wife's diesel A2 costs 85/year, whereas my RS6 costs 160/year.

In article

Enjoying it? Nice aren't they?
I contemplated the Xenons on mine, but in the end decided against them. In addition, although I'm aware of the benefits over normal lighting, I still think they look a bit odd in daylight, sort of like mini-fishbowls :)
Get any other options on it? Like the colour btw.
--
Toby

In article

Had a range of 670 miles on mine once, after 90 miles since filling up!
--
Toby