Replacement battery recommendation needed

Hi, just wanted to see what experiences you guys have with replacement batteries for the A4. Mine is a 99.5 1.8T. Can anyone recommend a brand/model that you have good experiences with? I am located in Toronto, so any specific place you recommend to pick one up would be appreciated as well.

Do I have to get one with a vent tube on the side as well or is that optional? Seeing that the OE one has one. Also, do I need any special tools to remove the cover to get access to the battery? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

K.

-----------------------------------

Reply to
Quattro28

K, Try to get a red-top Optima - see the application guide to find out which will work for your car. Every once in a while Canadian Tire has 'em on sale (presently $179-$199 at

On the cover issue, wouldn't your manual have that info? When removing the battery, maintain a 12 volt supply to the car - either through a cig...er...accessory port "radio code keeper" or (my pref. method) by hooking up a booster pack to the battery terminal connections, then disconnecting the terminals leaving the pack connected (make sure the wires don't accidentally touch!). If you interrupt the electrical supply then you may have to go to the delaer to have them erase error codes/reset radio(if you don't have the unlock code)/etc. Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ - fixing up a 100 amp alternator, then check condition of "blue wire", then check battery cable splice, then maybe get an Optima red top, then......sigh..... 1980 Audi 5k - hasn't caused any trouble lately from within it's cocoon in the driveway.
Reply to
Steve Sears

CR made tests recently and Die Hard (Sears) clearly came on top.

Reply to
Saintor

Sears has two batteries that fit an Audi. The gold is made by Interstate. Good battery The International is made by Exide. Leaky piece of crap.

Reply to
JPF

************* Yes, it would be a good idea to get the battery with a vent. The vent is there to allow any hydrogen gas to escape. I believe the vent feature will add a few dollars to the battery cost. Sears is a good place for batteries.
Reply to
Yuri

The vent is completely unnecessary if you get a sealed design like the Optima (which is a sealed AGM type battery). I'd also recommend an AGM battery like the Optima if you can afford one. They tend to last longer.

Cheers,

Chris Mauritz

snipped stuff...

************ The optima battery has had good reports on some of the audi forums but there have also been reports of fitment problems because of the terminal placements on the battery. Probably a good idea to take a look at the battery measurements and terminal positions to see if it will hit under the seat.
Reply to
Yuri