1987 528e interior light not working when doors open

I can turn on the light at the switch but they will not come on when the door is open. I think it might be in the switch. It feels a little spongie.
Any thoughts?
thanks... rick 1987 528e... around 260K miles. Odometer stopped at 192K three years ago.
Try another door. If the light works by one or more doors, but fails on another, then the switch on the door is bad. Odds favor the switch being dirty, which is a condition that can be resolved without buying new parts.

Thanks Jeff: The dome lights will not work with any doors. rick

Dome light relay, location unknown to me but someone here will be able to point it out...

The Dome Light switch is a 3-position switch. The positions are, always on no matter the status of the doors, on and off as the doors open and close, and always off no matter the status of the doors.
If the lights come on with the switch, then you must have set the switch incorrectly for the lights to respond to the doors. I seriously doubt that all door switches will fail at the same time.

You're probably right. They are very simple affairs, with leaf contacts closed or opened by a ramp on the sliding the switch. I'd suggest you remove it altogether to check it's operation with a multimeter. Cleaning or bending the contact leaves as necessary. I had to do this on my high mileage 525 when switching on the light, often failed to light the bulb. Or it would go off by itself, after being switched on. Mike.
Theres one screw holding the light switch at the middle of the driver door frame in the front. Its got the plunger that switches the light on when its out. If you unscrew it and pull the switch and its two wires out you can touch them together to see it will turn the lights on. If its not there, it might be in the light switch itself which pops out fairly easily. Try bavauto.com if you need a new switch. When reconnecting the door switch connect the wires back to the switch and careful not to let them fall into the hole. I dont know if theres any dome light relay in that car, i am fairly sure there is not. I also think it wise to first try with a multimeter at the door and driver override switches. If you do not have one or are unable to use one (or a test light), then just order the driver override switch to the left of the steering column on left hand drive cars. Its very probably that. Im tired and burnt out, i dunno if my answer has been rambling and nonsensical...if it has consult the rosetta stone and perhaps have the dalai lama read the tea leaves. Therein your answers lie. Muhahahahaha. Muhahahahahahahahahahaha. Ahem
Thanks group. I'll check the switch with my meter hopefully it will show a problem. The switch is in the center position. since all the doors/dome light on - stopped working at the same time I am guessing it is not in the doors.
thanks again.. i appreciate all your suggestions rick

I'll say it again, Interior Light Control Unit Relay, located in driver's footwell. It is part # : 61 31 1 373 974. Bavarian Auto has it for $60 and BMW sells it for way more than that. I would not replace this sucker without doing some troubleshooting at the relay plug itself first.