2003 320ci e46 - engine rattle

Hi,
My 2003 320ci has had the same problem since I bought the car (second-hand with 12000 miles). Three BMW dealers have had a look at the problem, but
can't resolve it.
On accelerating, in any gear, I can hear a quiet rattle from the front of the car between 1400 and 2000 RPM. It does it when the car is cold or hot. One dealership suggested it maybe the ERG (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) unit. Another suggested it was a valve in the inlet manifold.
It's annoying, more than anything.
Any ideas.
Cheers,
JG
Jimbo wrote:

Have you looked at the engine mounts? If the bolts are loose, that could well produce a rattle. Look particularly at the exhaust side of the engine.
Ed
Ed Beroset wrote:

The stainless steel exhaust in BMWs is a nice touch, but if they didn't use fairly thin mild (non-stainless) steel hangers in the vicinity of the transmission crossmember that rust through and then rattle, leaving the exhaust system unsupported in that area, they would be nicer yet.
Take a look and see if that's where the problem lies. The part is inexpensive, but if not replaced stress might crack the (doubtless *not* inexpensive) SS.
See: http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=EV13&mospidG717&btnr _0445&hg&fg0
...and note especially the part labeled "2".
JRE