240 engine area rattle finally fixed

When I bought the 240 it had a 2000-2100 RPM rattle. I mentioned it here about two years ago and a solution was mentioned, but i never got around to it, just living with it. I finally had a few spare moments and remembered about the rattle (sort of like the old joke about the roof don't leak when it isn't raining). Sure enough, the suggestions were right.

the rattle is from the header pipe between the manifold and the resonator(?) in front of the catalytic converter. That pipe is double walled, but there is nothing between the two layers of pipe. As years go by, the heat/cooling cycles causes the inner and outer pipe to separate just a bit, and they get harmonic vibrations in certain RPM ranges. My solution was to use self-tapping sheet metal screws. I used

4- two in each pipe- one about 8" from the manifold and one about 8" from the resonator. I ran the full screw all the way in to cut the threads, then cut four off real short so they would protrude as little as possible into the exhaust flow.

That did it! Took it for a test ride this AM, and what a relief! it's like driving a different car!

If I had a spot welder I would have just drilled a small hole and stick welded them together.

Reply to
Randy G.

My mom's 245 did the same thing and I used the same solution. Every once in a while the screws would still manage to loosen up and it would rattle again so eventually I just cut off the heat shield. That was about 4 years ago with no ill effect, time will tell I suppose. That car was my introduction to Volvos, bought new in '86 she's still driving it, 275K and the motor has never been opened and runs great, despite years of neglect and abuse before I was old enough to know how to work on it. If they made a 240 body out of stainless the car would last 100 years.

Reply to
James Sweet

An even better solution would be to drill the appropriate sized holes, then use screws that are just long enough to reach the inner pipe

- and file their ends flat. I think that eventually you will have an exhaust leak there...

Reply to
mjc1