'93 325 Remote lock leaving on lights

My brother just got a 1993 325is and has a problem with the remote alarm/locks.
When I push the button to lock the doors after exiting, it lights up
the dash board, center console, and the rear lights over the license plate. I thought they would go off on their own, but they stayed on and the battery was dead. I charged the battery and tested it out; When exiting the car and closing the door, the lights are off. When I lock the doors the lights come on, but if I use the unlock the doors, the lights go off. This also happens when locking/unlocking with the key in the driver's side door.
How can I lock the doors without draining the battery?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I looked at it again, and found I can get the dash board lights to dim by turning the intensity dial all the way down, but the rear lights above the license plate remain on when the doors are locked. Again this happens when using the key or the remote.
Also, what function do each of the 3 buttons on the remote have? The top one locks/unlocks the doors. The middle one seems to make the locks click as if trying to lock if they already locked, and does nothing if doors are unlocked. The bottom button, as far as I can see does nothing.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Problem seems to be short in wires http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?ty896
On 5 Jul 2006 21:22:17 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Sounds like the mechanics inside the door are interfering with the circuit that turns on the lights when you raise the door handle. Didn't know they turned the parking lights on, that's a new one to me.