BMW 520i Ignition problem

Aplologies if this is the wrong group.
My 1991 BMW 520i was running perfectly. A friend then revved it rather high and turned it off.
Since then, all the lights come on, but the starter motor does not
even turn - just dead silence.
All other electrics seem perfect.
I have just put a brand new battery into the car and still no luck.
I have checked all the fuses and they are fine.
That is about the extent of my vehicular knowledge, unfortunately.
Any ideas?
Many thanks

Do the lights dim when you try and crank?

Check not left in gear (auto) or microswitch stuck, check solenoid, check ignition switch, check starter motor connections, check starter motor not stuck - in roughly that order.
On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 11:10:51 +0000 (UTC), "R. Mark Clayton"

Hi R. Mark Clayton,
Many thanks for the prompt reply.
No - the lights do not dim when I try to crank.
I can also hear at least 2 relays kick in when turning the key.
When this first happened the other day (with the old original battery) we ran-started the car no problem. I feel that that would still be the case right now, but we live on a scary hill that would require serious power to drag it up again if the next attempt fails!
So, I would think, the problem is electrical (solenoid or connections) unless the starter motor is "stuck".
If it is stuck, how would I go about resolving that?
Otherwise, tomorrow, I shall have to call someone out.
Living in Durban, South Africa, does not make this any easier, I can tell you.
Do I ask for an auto-electrician or a mechanic, or do I sell all my belongings and phone the BMW agents?
Regards,
Zenabi

Is it manual or auto?
--