bmw cooling thingy problem

i found this....

Reply to
Jules

since you just replaced the pump it is unlikely the impeller. My guess is that you still have air in the system. They don't say bleed air bleed air bleed air.... etc for nothing !

Reply to
RT

I did it 3 times the other day, letting it cool each time, front jacked up.....hell im stumped.

Reply to
Jules

It's time to take it to the dealer before the head or engine is ruined (if it isn't already)

Sounds like you may spend more money swapping parts than the dealer will charge.

Reply to
joe_tide

I never let it get into the red. it was just willing to go in that direction and i let it.

Im going to have another crack at it this afternoon.

Reply to
Jules

Is it really overheating or just a bad sender?

Reply to
adder1969

Or maybe a faulty new thermostat?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Morton

tried it without a thermostat. i would have thought the engine would take twice as long to warm as without one, but seems to be the same rate.

I have some coolant on the way, but i cant find out the total amount the engine/rad holds so i can get the correct 50/50 mix with water..its a Uk spec if that helps tahnks

Reply to
Jules

A few people said its overheating or getting that direction on the gauge. cheers

Reply to
Jules

I don't think it's necessarily a good idea to put a proper coolant mix in while you're still sorting out the overheating. Get a manual or a handbook.

Reply to
adder1969

I bled it twice yesterday, took it for 2 longish drives and the gauge stayed bang on half way...im hoping now its sorted...fingers crossed! Tried to find a manual, but couldnt as i was told one was not done for this car.

Reply to
Jules

If you tried really really hard, I guess you *might* be able to get yourself a manual or at least a handbook then you *might* stop making yourself look really stupid.

Reply to
adder1969

Seeing i was told there wasnt one, cant really see how i can get one...and this is my first BMW, i know a lot about Toyotas but not these, never had to bleed a rad on one of those....anything you want to tell me about the 18RG engine????

Reply to
Jules

Seems you went to a place that doesn't deserve your business any longer. There's a manual of some sort out for any fairly recent car on the market by the time it hits 3 years old. As for the 18RG engine, twin OH cam, inline 4. They never installed them in any BMW though :)

Reply to
Psycho

I was told there was not a Haynes for that model of BMW (same went for a Gen1 Celica , i just got one for a Gen2 as the engine, susp etc was the same, just differant body) I looked on ebay and saw loads of cd's but the ones i looked at didnt have the E34 M50....

Never had a European car, all my last cars were 70's Celicas, so power steering etc, are all new to me, same goes for bleeding radiators, but so far so good....

Reply to
Jules

These can be tested "offline" with a meat thermometer and some boilking water. I've had two bad thermostats in a row, new in box BOSCH, neithe rone was any good. That's why I test ALL incoming new ones first.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

  1. M50 engine will be covered in Haynes 3210 (3 series).
  2. Bentley do a manual for E34 -
    There should be instruction in the TIS that normally is bundled withthe EPC on EBay -
    Hope your problem is solved! Nick
Reply to
Pashlipops

ah, had that with computer components....will test in future

Reply to
Jules

thanks for your input, much appricated.

Reply to