E34 Auto transmission help please

Hi, recently I've been having problems with my auto transmission, keep switch in to "safe mode." At first, I had a misfire problem and this kept putting it in safe mode, but after changing the spark
plugs, it went away for a month until the other day, when it started again, for no reason, no misfires this time. It just switched itself into safe mode.
Now I have found the part in speedo clocks, that displays what gear your in, some how seems to have something to do with this, because if I unplug it, it doesn't go in to safe mode.
So I am guessing its something to do with this? Is it more than just a display? What is it called?
And, any ideas what's causing it to keep switching into safe mode, when there seems to be nothing wrong with the box? It changes gears OK, drives OK, handles and performs as normal, so why dose it keep switching into safe mode?

Do you have the four or five speed box (or what model/year is it)?
Removing and cleaning the gear selector switch should fix that....
Read more here, the biggest e34 info site - they deal with e34 trannys all the time, http://www.bimmer.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f &page=1&sort=lastpost&order=&pp`&daysprune=-1
tell them Sharkman sent you!
John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland

Its a 4 speed, 520i Auto, 1991 E34 with an M50 engine.

The selector linkage can cause problems here. My 635 had a dead zone where it would select drive but not change gear, be sure the dashboard indicator for the gear you want is lit.