e36 Secondary Air Pump- bypassing emissions

As opposed to laying out $400.00 on a pump and valve, or going trying to determine if I have a bad power source to the pump- Has anyone ever temproarily installed an air compressor solely for the purpose of
passing emissions?
My understanding is that the fault code is premised on the 02 sensor response to air running through the manifold, not specifically on the pump itself. As such, my question is, so long as I have a source of fresh air blowing through the manifold upon start up, should that not prevent the CEL from activating, so long as the O2 sensor is good (replaced 6 months ago)?
I haven't actually done the dry run yet, I plan on doing it this weekend. I will reset the code then run fresh air through the system upon start up? Any thoughts?