( E39 - 2001 - 525i - steptronic ) fuel usage ?

i have bought this 2001 bmw 525i about a month ago,and it uses about 22 litre every 100km !!! , i know thats alot of fuel and something has to be wrong, but before showing it to my local BMW car service, i
wanted to know how much fuel does it have to use in 100 km (about 60 miles).

Don't know about the 2001 models, but according to BMWNA, the current 525i with Auto trans. uses about 20 to 30 miles/gallon. If my math is correct, that should equal about 12 to 8 litres/km.
Tom K.

Wow, I'd hate to drive a car that used 2-3 gallons for every km.
30 miles = roughly 50 km
1gallon for 50km = 2 gallon for 100km = 9 liters per 100km. That's best case. Roughly 14liters/100km worst case.
22liters / 100km = 6 gallons / 62 miles = 10 mpg.
That's really bad.

Thanks, Tom. Apparently my math is OK, it's my typing that stinks! Obviously should have been 12 to 8 litres/100 km.
Tom K.

For example, in local driving 22- 24 On the highway, less than only 60 mph, 34 On the highway, less than only 80 mph, 32
One of my son's friends drove a 525 to Colorado last summer, and he said that they averaged 31 mpg. I. E., about the same as my 325. Either the OP's math is all wrong or there is something very wrong with his automobile. Jim

"Gee" wrote

The average from the last 2,5k miles on my '02 530i manual in mixed city/hwy (60%/40%) driving has been 23.2 mpg (US). That's about 10.2l/100km.
Pete

Hmm, my 540iT is only getting about 13 city / 19 hwy.
Oh, wait, could be the supercharger.
Lots of fun thought!

I zero the OBC each time I fill up my 528 auto, and the worse I've ever seen was 16 UK mpg - all short town journeys in heavy traffic in winter. Very best 37 mpg long distance motorway only at 70/80 mph.
--
*I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast *