E39 what are the courtesy relays

and how do I change 'em ?
tia

I presume they are the relays that keep the interior lights on and allow you to close the window and sun roof for a period after you close the door.

There is usually a small box under the bonnet somewhere. Some models have the fuses in there too.

these were mentioned (by a reputable independant bmw garage) as a possible reason for wiper failure on 'high' mileage (130k) E39s ...
hmmm ...
?

Could be the relays - not sure what courtesy has to do with it?

"interestingly" since my local garage wiggled some wires and shook the relay box, not only do the wipers work but also the interior orange 'map' (courtesy?) lights in the roof console now work ...
I'll have to check whether these go out when the wipers next fail ...
atb