How important are wheel locks?

I have a Lexus IS that has a wheel lock on each rim. After a bad experience trying to change a flat on a busy freeway at night, I discovered that they make changing the tire a pain in the ass. Since I don't need to worry about my rims being stolen I figured they're more trouble than they're worth so I want to take them off. Is it OK to drive the car without the wheel locks? What would happen if I drove the car for an exteded period of time without the wheel locks.

Reply to
El Cucui

"Since I don't need to worry about my rims being stolen"

Well AFAIK, that's there only purpose.

Reply to
Anonymous

I don't think ther would be any problem as long as you replace the wheel lock with another standard lug nut .

Reply to
Ice

The purpose of the wheel locks is to deter theft. If that is not a problem, they are not required as long as you put the regular lug nuts back on in their place.

Reply to
Dlee

Not very important at all IMHO. Nearly all Lexus models imported into the US had wheel locks included. But I've never heard of the wheels of the RX 300 ever being stolen. (The blue headlights, on the 2003 and later models, on the other hand, had been frequently stolen before the "data dot" application.

Most tire dealers and my local AAA carry the key for the wheel lock anyway, so I question how secure it is.

Reply to
J Golden

That never occurred to you BEFORE? What did you think "wheel locks" are? If their goal is to make it difficult for other people to remove your wheels to steal them, what did you think it would do for you? Make it easier? Nah.

Whenever I get a car with wheel locks, step 1 is to replace them with standard lug nuts/bolts.

Ummmmm......yes.

As in, "without anything in there"? Nothing good.

Go to your dealer parts department and ask for four straight, non-locking lug nuts for your car.

BTW, Snap-On sells a tool that will remove ANY wheel lock FASTER than you can using the official tool that Lexus gave you. And if you don't think the homies have that same tool....wheel locks are a placebo to make suckers feel good. They do no good, and are only a pain in the ass.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty