e46-question on brakes

What's the experience from using a bmw dealer verus a no name garage to replace brakes? I''m having a temporary problem with cash flow. I live in the Toronto GTA area and am willing to drive west to Miss........ Any
suggestions is appreciated....
email this guy, he is a god if he will do it for you - be honoured. it will be cheaper than dealer and much better, he is a race shop guru snipped-for-privacy@bmwe34.net

Do it yourself and save even more. All the parts - rotors and pads and sensor - shouldn't be more than about $75 US per axle.
Floyd

That sounds incredible. If it's got vented discs I make it approx 100 gbp for OEM parts for the front. Rip off Britain again?
--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

I think I wrote "axle" when I wanted "corner". Bimmerworld (I just checked) has OEM rotors for $102 and Mintex pads for $44 PER AXLE - front left & right. That's about L100.
Floyd
wrote

I think that's a bit low. My experience was that the rotors cost $50 per corner, and the pads were $50 per axle set. This makes an axle cost about $150.

It's not exactly a difficult job, and BMW use the same brakes as others, so any decent garage familiar with European cars should not have a problem.
Just make sure they fit OEM quality parts - I use ATE.
--
*He's not dead - he's electroencephalographically challenged

If cash flow is an issue, AND you know which end of the screwdriver works the screws and which end you are supposed to hold onto, you can replace the brakes yourself in about an hour (less if you have done it before). This is especially true if your rotors aren't worn out yet, and rotors should reasonably last through at least two sets of brake pads.
BMW will install more BMW pads, the brake shop -- or you -- will probably install aftermarket pads. If you do the job, you can get pads that make less dust. This is generally viewed as an improvement.

thank you all for your suggestions and help.