BMW 330iT E46

Just an update. It has just passed its MOT at the same garage who said it needed a replacement engine. Very small garage too. The subject wasn't
brought up. ;-)
--
*HOW IS IT POSSIBLE TO HAVE A CIVIL WAR?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I doubt it needs an engine to pass the MOT, so long as it steers and stops OK !!!!
--
Graham J

On 06/03/2018 19:00, Graham J wrote:

Emissions test, brake assistance, power steering, road test

Can imagine the tester being delighted to push the car onto the ramp. ;-)
--
*Sometimes I wake up grumpy; Other times I let him sleep.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Ah, but would save him the bother of the emissions test!
--
Scott

On 08/03/2018 12:44, Scott M wrote:

certainly would, still be a failure though. failure to be able to drive the car is a reason to refuse to test.
On 08/03/2018 13:49, MrCheerful wrote:

Wasn't there some engines which used an alloy that could be dissolved by petrol?
On 03/04/2018 04:17, johannes wrote:

Rover and BMW had a problem with cylinder bores that went porous IIRC There is more of a problem with the methanol that is being added to modern petrol, that corrodes certain alloys used in older fuel systems (carburettors particularly) and that has upset the classic car owners.
On 03/04/2018 07:12, MrCheerful wrote:

I should have put ethanol (not methanol)

Nothing new about alcohol in petrol. That was heavily advertised many years ago. It seems to go for the 'rubber' used in some types of fuel hoses, mainly.
--
*One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.

My last BMW had a Nikasil engine. No trouble at all here. Think it was down to cheap imported fuel sold in some areas. All the filling stations round here are ordinary brands like BP, etc.
--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional *

Those who have followed this thread might like the latest news. After getting it going again (new petrol pump) it required a new steel brake pipe front to back for an MOT. So quite costly, as difficult to get at. A few days later it did a 250 mile round trip, and ran very well. And then broke a front spring the other day - digging in to the near new tyre and wrecking that too...
--
*How's my driving? Call 999*

surely it was replaced with a 'copper' pipe ?

Said steel to differentiate from a flexible hose.
But even cardboard would likely outlast this car. ;-)
BTW, I prefer kunifer to copper.
--
*Toilet stolen from police station. Cops have nothing to go on.

Are you thinking of the Nikasil coating on the bores? Which was said to be dissolved by high sulphur content petrol?
--
*I don't suffer from insanity -- I'm a carrier