E46 Transmission

2000 E46 w/ 63k miles automatic transmission problem? Just changed the oil and filter myself (first time I've DIY on this car) And didn't drive it all
that day. The next day after backing out the driveway there seem to be a real bad hesitation after shifting into drive. No jerking movement, just a smooth hesitation. Didn't seem to shift correctly while driving approx. 5 miles to the store. On the way home the ATF light came on and drove in "emergency mode." stopped, cut off engine and light went out upon restart. Still doesn't seem to shift correctly. Checked the ATF fluid and was fine. Did I screw something up or just a coincidence? Known problems on this car? Thanks in advance.
update. Just tried the car out. putting in reverse seems the same as putting it in neutral, i.e. if you give it no gas, it will just roll. You can give it gas to go but its like it's slipping. It never catches, but does slowly go.