Fog lamp bulb (92 e32)

I have a e32 -- I went to buy a new bulb and they told me it took an H1. However, the bulb I pulled out looks exactly like the 9006 in the lowbeam.
What gives? do some 92's have different bulbs? I looked at realoem -- that showed an H1 too.
I ignored the guy and bought a 9006 and put it in.. works perfectly... not sure how I could put an H1 in it...
Remove x's to send.