Harsh Ride on 2002 325i

I just bought a used 2002 325i in like new condition, only 30,000 miles. I love the car except for the harsh ride. Every bump is felt unless I am on a
very smooth highway. I notice the tires 225 45 ZR 17 are not very thick like other cars. Does this have something to do with the rough ride. What about getting thicker tires? I realize I would probably have to get 16 in wheels. I guess I shouldnt have fallen in love with the car prior to giving it a good test drive..
Dude, that's what Performance feels like. You paid extra for that.

My performance days have come and gone, I want a classy ride that doesn't ride like a truck beat me do death.

Well, I have the same size tires on my '94 3 Series, and the ride is stiff, but the ride was also stiff with 225/55x15s, so the stiffness comes from the suspension for the most part. Yes, the 17s will be a bit harder because they have less sidewall, but the ride won't change much -- using my experience as a guideline.
If you car has the 17s, then it probably has the Sport Suspension as well, which is stiffer than the standard setup.

Thanks for the info...

Then you bought the wrong car...
Randy wrote:

Since you apparently have the sport package, what tires are on the car (make & model)? My sport 328i has 225/45WR17 ContiSport Contact tires and has a firm but comfortable ride at the recommended cold tire pressures of 29 front and 33 rear. If your tire pressure is appreciably higher, you might want to bleed them down to the pressures specified on the label found on your driver's door jamb.
Although an E46 Sport is biased more towards handling than ride, mine is still a much smoother ride than my wife's Saab 9-3 with 16" all-seasons.
Tom K.
Randy wrote:

Randy,
Do you know if your car has the "sport" package? Since you have the 17" wheels (part of the sport package in '02), I suspect you do. Stock size for an '02 w/o sport package is 205/55-16. If it does have the sport pkg, the stiffer springs and shocks will increase the stiffness as well and transmit more road vibration.
Unlike Jeff, I believe that a large amount of what you are calling "harshness" may be attributable to the tires. There can be a huge difference in "road feel" from that variable alone, even with the same size tire.
I suggest you try changing to a smaller diameter 16" wheel/tire combination and select a tire with a soft sidewall and see if that helps. Do you live in an area that you will need winter tires? If so, that is a perfect way to "test ride" some smaller wheels and tires since they will be cheaper and perform better in winter conditions than larger / wider set-up.
You should have no problem selling the 17" wheels / tires should you decide to change your summer wheels as that is the direction most people want to go (larger) in search of sportier handling.
--
-Fred W

Thanks for the info everyone...

Randy wrote:

I had a '94 3 series (with sport suspension) and had to try to steer around every pot hole. Then I put eibach springs and Boge M-tech dampers on and the ride actually improved (as well as the cornering). Newer BMWs get criticised for their harsh ride and I think the best thing to do would be swap out the suspension.
Would changing shocks to the original suspention do the trick?