harsh ride

Hi all My mk2 Golf GTi clatters quite harshly over bumps on the road. I have fitted new struts within the past year but this hasn't made much difference (other than to the roadholding). Am I right in thinking that the springs are more likely to be the cause of the harsh ride? TIA

-- David Speir (remove NO.SPAM to reply)

Reply to
David Speir

Soft bushes.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Knackered (seized?) dampers. There's a lot more do go wrong on the dampers than a spring.

Springs tend to get softer and sag a little with time rather than get harder. Of course the ride height could have dropped a fair bit, causing the ride problems - try measuring the ride height compared to standard to see if the springs have dropped by miles.

Reply to
Doki