How serious is this?

I have a 1998 740i series and I was doing some in town driving. Suddenly the transmission seemed to jolt and then I received a "transmission failsafe prog" message on my dash panel. I've never had
this problem before. Can some one tell me how much of a problem this is? The owners manual says it's the "transmission control module", as it might have a fault. Is this a costly problem? Or is it a larger transmission problem. Appreciate any help in understanding this issue.

BMW fills these boxes with "lifetime fluid". It has to be changed every 60k miles in reality. So new fluid is the first step.
If the supply voltage to the gearbox ecu is low it'll cause an error. This can be caused by a bad alternator voltage regulator or a dying battery.

New fluid isn't going to correct a fault like this. If you believe it's needed it must be done as a preventative measure.

First thing to check.
--
*TEAMWORK...means never having to take all the blame yourself *

John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland

You haven't answered the question about whether the fault goes away if you stop it and start it.
If it goes away - take it easy and get the codes read.
If it stays - drive it very gently to a dealer.
snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

The same thing happened when I pulled out of my driveway in my '04 X5 with the same engine about 18 months ago. It would only limp along at low speed and I had the same "failsafe" warning in the dash. BMW towed it in and hooked it up to the computer. 5 minutes later I was back on the road. The computer reprogrammed whatever caused the fault and no other service was required. It was either covered under the warranty or it may have been a recall since there was no paperwork. Have you checked to see if you have any transmission recalls (or TSB's) on your car?
Dan