Omg I need some serious advice!!

so I have a 2010 nissan rouge. long story short, I put a screwdriver in the ignition and hit it with a hammer. wouldn't turn over. I found the key and still won't start. what did I do and how do I fix it?

Reply to
melissan503

Maybe someone stole the battery.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

I hope you're joking.

But... I gather you couldn't find the key and attempted to start it with a screwdriver, in spite of the fact that after a century of car theft car locks are very carefully designed to be difficult to circumvent.

So.... does the key still fit into the lock? If it does fit into the lock, does it turn?

If you're lucky, you're in for just a new lock cylinder, which may be a dealer-only thing. If you're unlucky you got the switch as well and that is a royal pain to replace.

I wouldn't advise you to tell the insurance company that someone tried to steal it and destroyed the lock, although I don't think you would be the first person to try that.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I kinda think that this didn't happen, or you're trying to steal a car.

Reply to
Bill Vanek

thanks but this is actually my car and in my name. I couldn't find the key, and I only have one.

What about a remote starter? can it override the sensor?

Reply to
melissan503

gee, thanks for that. this car is mine and it's in my name. I lost the key and only have one. anyway, what about a remote starter? Will it bypass the sensor?

[...]

You need to call a mechanic.

Reply to
Bill Vanek

No, sadly it's probably beyond that point, it is probably at the point of calling the dealer.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Is this thread actually happening??

Reply to
thekmanrocks

The steering column has to be disassembled to determine the extent of the damage. Hopefully the key still works well enough to remove the lock cylinder if need be. (many are designed to be removed with a working key to prevent a thief from just swapping in a replacement lock)

alternatively the entire steering column could be replaced with one that has a key.

Reply to
Brent

Brent wrote in news:le0dh9$3n7$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

you shouldn`t have to replace the colum, just punch the pin that holds the cyl in after taking the steering wheel off. have had to do it a couple of times, its a pain but doable. KB but only haveing one key is a big problem these days. there is a whole special procedure if you have lost it to have it reindexed to the computer sensor. usually dealer only.

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

You've got entirely the wrong idea. You don't HIT screwdrivers, you ROTATE them.

And why would you want to turn your car over, anyway? That would damage the paint.

Reply to
Tegger

The most appropriate response so far...

Reply to
Bill Vanek

my wife asked me if I wanted an apple turnover....when I said yes, she flipped my MacBook in the air and broke it.

rimshot

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Back in the good old days there used to be lots of turned over cars in Baja. How else are you going to get the engine out if you don't have a cherry picker?

Reply to
Jack Myers

Go to the hardware store and get an angle grinder with a carbide cut-off wheel. Cut the steering column off as near to the dash as you can.

Reply to
T0m $herman