Low oil on a Sunday.

Page 1 of 2
My 535i is low on oil and I am in the UK on a Sunday with only local filling stations open. I am running Mobil 1 which I doubt I can buy locally in the UK so can anybody suggest what I might buy from a
supermarket filling station to top up please? Sweig

Depends. If the oil warning light is coming on, I'd top up with any fully synthetic oil. If the level is still near or within the marks I'd leave it, and top up with Mobil 1 as soon as I could obtain it. The warning light is your guide as to whether the engine will be damaged if it's not topped up immediately. Mike.

Yes thanks but can I get fully synthetic oil at a filling station? Sweig

fully
it,
if
Probably, but if not Halfords definitely have it. Possibly even Mobil 1. Main stores are open until 5pm on Sundays. Mike.

Yes thank I just found one;-) Sweig
I don't get this. In the UK Mobil 1 is hardly scarce, nor is any fully synthetic oil.
DAS
< snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

Unless the stuff you are getting with Mobil1 labels on it is different than ours, you may rest assured it is fully synthetic.
--
-Fred W

I meant any OTHER synthetic oil. Sweigelburger was implying he might find it difficult to get Mobil 1 or any synthetic oil on a Sunday.
Even if he was in a remote location I would be surprised it would be harder to get than non-synthetic.
DAS

harder
Many UK service stations only have small shops attached, and usually only carry a small range of the most popular oils. Fully synthetic oils, especially Mobil 1 which is expensive, and not widely used, is therefore often not available off the shelf on a Sunday when the main service counter is closed. Mike.
What would we city folk know about the Spartan realities of olde rural Englande...?
DAS
On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 10:19:02 -0000, "Dori A Schmetterling"

In my town it is difficult to find anywhere open on a Sunday:-( Sweig

I had a bit of luck. There was a Halfords superstore open 2 miles away and I got a litre of Mobil 1 for 11-99p. Thanks all the same for your advice. pete

Sad. Mobil 1 at Costco in the US is about $4.5 per quart. About 1/3 that price...
Floyd
Thanks for reminding us that we pay higher prices for oil (and petrol).
As if we neede reminding...
Petrol I can understand (taxes) but oil? I was not aware that there is a special 'luxury tax' on oil in the UK. Maybe there is....
DAS

I don't really understand this difference. I suspect it's more due to a rip-off by the retailer rather than tax... Of course, the same oil at one of the auto-parts retailers in the US is probably around $8 US - tells you that there's a lot of profit in some of this stuff.
BTW, Costco is now the world's 9th biggest wine retailer (IIRC), and their markup is around 14%. Prices for the same wines at wine shops are half again as much for the same bottle. I understand that the wine buyer(s) for Costco are treated as royalty when they tour wineries in Europe (and other parts of the world, too.)
Hooray for discounters.
FloydR
Floyd Rogers wrote:

Rip off. Supply and demand. Transportation costs. Someone is making some extra profit.

No, not that much. 5 dollars and change is more like it. I don't know anyone that would buy Mobil 1 for 8 bucks a qt. The discount on Mobil1 is not as deep as some other things you can find at Walmart / Costco. There is probably some discount limits placed on the deal by Mobil Oil.

Volume speaks, erm... volumes. ;-)

Free market at its best.

--
-Fred W

And the quality may fall or there will not be any special ones. Good wine of a particular vintage is just not made in such quantities to satisfy the needs of discounters or any supermarket chain. Thus it is, e.g., advisable to be very careful about buying fresh meat from a large chain instead of a good butcher. The value for money at a supermarket may, in fact, be lower.
So, I suggest that

does not always yield the results you think.
Here is another example: grapes. Grapes.
Most grapes sold by the main UK supermarket chains are grown in South Africa. Thanks to the policies of Tesco, Sainsbury et al, dozens of growers are being squeezed out of business. Some of these supermarkets don't even tell the supplier the price until the stuff is on the shelves and the selling price established.
The growers supplying Marks & Spencer and Waitrose -- smaller chains with a different philosophy and higher prices -- are doing quite well and supplying good quality.
The free market at its best?
Or bananas. The EU has been preferentially importing bananas from certain parts of the Caribbean (ex-French and British colonies), partly as a way to help them economically, but the USA has been applying pressure to permit better terms for Latin American bananas. Great, you might think. But who are the main suppliers from there? Companies like Del Monte, who are not famous for paying decent prices for bananas. Screwing the workers is ok?
Hooray for discounters?
DAS
"Malt_Hound" <""Malt_Hound\"@*spam-me not*yahoo.com"> wrote in message
news:cbWdnXPRELG14 snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com...
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

Though your reply was to my post, I was only saying that (Free Market at it's best) directly in response to the particular case of low priced Mobil 1 oil at the discounters. In regard to many (most) other things, I am rather opposed to the leverage applied to suppliers by the big box stores. I generally do not do business with Walmart or Home Depot for that very reason.
--
-Fred W

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 20:11:01 -0800, "Floyd Rogers"

Our gas prices work out at the same ratio too compared to the US:-( Sweig
What in the world makes you think yo can not get Mobile 1 on Sunday?
Mobile 1 is available at pretty much ANY auto parts store. In the States, we can get it from a wide variety of big-box retail stores, Target, WalMart, K-Mart, etc. Mobile 1 is nothing special, beyond its superior lubricating abilities.