4G63T Low oil pressure after rebuild

Well, I've got a question this time...

Just had the 4G63T rebuilt with new pistons after an unexpected ring failure after less than 15000 km. Prior to this rebuild oil pressure as indicated on the std 1G gauge was just above the low mark once the engine was hot. There was no reason to change the pump. There was no need to replace the bearings as these were done on the original rebuild. Bearings went back on the same journals.

Now, when the engine is cold, the pressure hits slightly more than midpoint between the low and high marks. Once the engine is warm however, the pressure drops to less than the midpoint between 0 and the low mark. There's also a quiet rattling sound under 2500 rpm that reminiscent of a slightly loose tappet. The noise was not there before this rebuild.

The guys who did the rebuild know Mitsu inside out and wouldn't get the oil pump alignment wrong, at least they have never done so before on my other Mitsu vehicles. The engine seems as smooth as it was after the first rebuild.

I know what a misaligned pump sounds like in the 4G64 SOHC, but I've never heard one in the 4G63 DOHC. Does the engine run with noticeably more vibration?

Could pump misalignment be the cause of the low oil pressure?

Its almost like there's something that's now looser in the cam area that's rattling and venting oil pressure more than it should be. Any suggestions?

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

Fred

Stewart, There is nothing else it could be but the oil pump balance shaft. I had a similar problem in my mitsu and it turned out to be the this. The oilpump drives the lower balance shaft and if it is put in out of phase it will cause this type of problem. There is an article on how to correctly set-up this shaft I found somewhere in this site (I think). What happens with the oil pump balance shaft is that it aligns correctly, once every 6 turns of the crankshaft. This means you have a one in six chance of getting it right. Seeing that the oil pump drives this shaft, it is possible for the added vibrations to cause problems with your oil pump. Once I corrected this problem, my engine ran as smooth as silk.

Reply to
Fred

x-no-archive: yes

According to the folks at dsmtuners, the balance shaft is really un-needed, if you can tolerate slightly more vibration at idle, and if removed will increase your oil pressure and add few extra HP.

Reply to
GOP= Greedy Old Pigs