My new 328i touring :-)

Bought an N reg/95 E36 328i touring at the weekend. Had to collect it in Bournemouth, a 600 mile drive from Aviemore!
We were meant to fly down but due to all the chaos at the airports we
got a hire car instead, a Merc E200. Not a bad car at all, but the location of cruise control stalk so close to the indicators had me constantly choosing the wrong one - most annoying. Nice, but not a BMW by any means. Horrid dashboard design too.
Pair 1300 quid for the touring with 114k miles, just needs a damn good clean as the last guy wasn't a "car guy". What I can't believe is that we managed 40+ mpg on the return journey, outstanding! Loads of power too, didn't handle at all like an estate car ;-)
Only one problem, it pulls to the left. Calipers are OK and wheels turn freely. I'm going to swap the front tyres to see if that's the problem. Failing that I'll try an alignment. Any other ideas?
John Burns wrote:

Didn't think that you'd need to ask but check the control arm bushes and ball joints.

Swapped the front tyres over and it cured the problem :-)

Alignment is the obvious thing. You're even asking ? :-)
The other thing I'd so is cyhange all four soft brake hoses. Over 5 years they're no good - the swell and allow different pressure to actuate the calipers resulting in a pull to one sie if one is older than the others (ie, mr non-car-guy replaced one when he was told to). The dates should be on the hoses.

I agree on the tires.
I'm sure you're ashamed that there are no pics on your website, yet. ;->
FloydR

Sooooooon............ :-)
Got the shock of my life when I opened this month's BMW Car, they had a half page feature on my website.
On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 11:23:01 +0100, John Burns

    I'm surprised no one from the magazine contacted you, but I guess I shouldn't be. I had a web site about 10 years ago on laptops, when I had a small local ISP. Suddenly, my hit count went through the roof and my ISP wanted $300/month in fees, since my web site was generating more traffic than their commercial customers and bogging the servers. Turned out the site had been mentioned in a magazine, though I'd never heard about it. My ISP and I couldn't come to terms, and I ended up closing my account and the site...     epbrown -- "Everybody wants a normal life and a cool car; most people will settle for the car." Chris Titus 2003 BMW 325i Black/Black, 2003 BMW Z4 Black/Black
That's only because you are not attuned to driving in a relaxed drawing-room-style ambience. You need this boy-racer aggressive cockpit found in BMWs...
Whoops, mustn't say this in a BMW NG... :-))
DAS
"John Burns" < snipped-for-privacy@unixnerd.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@unixnerd.demon.co.uk...