Re: 2004 bmw 325xi: AM Radio Statics and Reception Problems

Yes, this is absolutely true... but even working properly, the

> low-profile "amplified stub" antenna system isn't worth a damn. Yes, > the antennae are embedded in the rear window... and the diversity > switching helps a lot with FM reception but it doesn't do a thing for AM > since picket-fencing from multipath isn't really a problem with AM > anyway. Replacing the amplifier modules and cleaning the connections > won't hurt anything, but it won't make the system perform any better > than it did when it was new. And when it was new, it wasn't so hot.

I recently bought a DAB radio for the 'other' car and discovered it really needed the correct aerial too - so for the thick end of 100 gbp I bought the correct roof mounted active one. About 18" long, and two amps built in, one of which is for AM. And it works very, very well. Far better than the screen ones on my E39.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)