Re: 2008 Rolls-Royce Phantom Drophead Coupe

The six cylinder Cloud or Bentley S1 was IMHO the best looking standard bodied R-R ever - and the last before they complicated things with servo everything. So an ideal car for the enthusiast to maintain at home. It was also the first model with power steering so perfectly suitable for modern use. But the market realises this - Shadows can be bought for pennies but a Cloud will cost serious money.
Oh - I agree the present Rolls and Bentley are positively hideous, the lot of them. They seem to be designed to look imposing, and that's something that never works.
--
*Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack? *

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 18:06:22 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

    I love the looks of the Cloud, especially the series I, but I think the Shadow is coming into it's own. I wound up with a '66 Shadow a while back simply because it combined reasonably modern, classy looks with the interior class and style of the Cloud. I bought mine on eBay for $7000 in 2001; it sold at auction last November for $19,200 two owners later. Blatchley hit his stride with that car, imo.     Sure, people grouse about the complexity of the Shadows, but that's relative. To a group used to working on Clouds and Dawns, a Shadow is complex; not to someone used to working on more modern cars (or even old Citroens, for that matter). Twenty years from now, I'd rather maintain a Series I Silver Shadow than an E65 745i! (Though I'd dread filling that 28-gallon tank in the RR. :))     epbrown
--
How can you know where I'm at if you haven't been where I been?
Can you see where I'm coming from? "How I Could Just Kill A Man" Cypress Hill