Rolls Royce

What's the cheapest a Silver Shadow goes for?

What kind of MPG can you get out of one? Could it be converted to desial or LPG?

Thanks

Reply to
Jak

£5,000

If you have to do that, you can't afford to run one. Fuel is the least of your worries with a cheap Rolls Royce. But yes, LPG is an option. Diesel is theoretically possible, but the resulting abortion would be so horrible you'd be better off with an old Citroen BX.

Though to be fair, wanting to convert it to diesel or LPG is about what I'd expect from the sort of person who wants the cheapest Rolls Royce.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

In news: snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com, Richard Kilpatrick decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

wot 'e said.

If you can't afford to buy a decent Silver Shadow (£8500+), then don't buy one.

cheapest I've ever seen one was £2295. It was an utter, utter, UTTER dog. 20 years of 6 weekly filler on the wheelarches, not a single piece of undamaged brightwork, knackered walnut, worn out and unfed leather, dented hubcaps, rust on every steel panel, mouldy carpets, smoky V8, slippy gearbox, whining diff, exhaust blowing, very reluctant brakes, and self levelling that sagged giving it a very snooty appearance.

I was *almost* tempted to buy it, shove a big block Chevy in it and Pro Street it... Pair of 15"x15" Mickey Thompsons on the back, pair of dodgy bucket seats, scoop on the bonnet etc..

Then I realised a 7.0 Chevy combined two tons of Crewe rustbucket was a recipé for disaster.

Reply to
Pete M

have a look on ebay at rr and bentley, there are some cheap ones there, but you have to be brave, a little foolhardy and have deep pockets to run it.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

What would the point being in converting a car designed for a smooth quiet effortless driving experience into a diesel? A modern car diesel with sufficient power to provide even modest performance would cost a fortune secondhand *and* not be a simple matter to install - so you'd be stuck with a truck unit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Very much so --- while a lot of the mechanical engine spares are reasonable some normal consumable items such as exhaust systems and tyres are very expensive.

Reply to
dilbert

There was a bit of a stir in Classic Cars recently when rather nice Shadow went for 2300GBP, and I've seen good Shadows go for under $8000USD. Hell, I bought mine (SRX 1327) for less than $7000 and it ran fine for years until a septuagenarian ran a red light last summer and crashed into the passenger side. It's running even now ( started it in 10-degree weather this week) but fixing it properly will run more than I'd like to put into it... I do mostly city driving in mine - it was my daily driver - and get around 12 mpg, but as someone wrote, doing an engine swap or going to LPG would simply ruin the poor thing and defeat the purpose of owning a RR in the first place. In my opinion, you can find a presentable, solid daily driver for under four thousand pounds. Parts and maintenance items are reasonable and readily available, especially over there, and a bit of elbow grease will keep it looking fine for anything but concourse competitions. Just make sure you buy well - a bad Shadow is a black hole no amount of money will stop up. Emanuel

Reply to
E Brown