Rolls Royce Silver Shadow Gearbox will not select reverse

I have a 1970 silver shadow when i select reverse on the steering colum it does not acutate the linkage on the gearbox. i have all forward gears but no reverse or park would this be an electrical fault. Have you come across anything like this.

Reply to
cavendishlimos

I have a 1970 silver shadow when i select reverse on the steering colum it does not acutate the linkage on the gearbox. i have all forward gears but no reverse or park would this be an electrical fault. Have you come across anything like this.

Reply to
cavendishlimos

I seriously doubt it; not sure about a '70 Roller but ISTR that many of them used GM THM400 trannies made under license; any good local tranny shop should be able to take a look at it for you. I would be very, very surprised if Rolls used an electrical servo arrangement to shift gears, far more likely is a mechanical linkage or cable between the column and the trans. (I am guessing here; I have zippy experience working on Rolls cars...) Anyway, assuming that all my assumptions are correct:

Option one would be that something has come loose or broken in the mechanical linkage between the column and the gearbox. That should be relatively easy to fix although it might involve buying some Rolls- specific replacement parts.

Option two is that something is hosed inside the transmixer. Bad news is that in that case you are looking at at least a partial teardown and rebuild. Good news is that if it is a THM400 it shouldn't require any Rolls-specific parts and can be handled by any good transmission shop.

good luck,

nate

Reply to
N8N

Mrs.Bucket and her hubby Richard (Keeping Up Appearances) once ''borrowed'' a 1970s Rolls Royce car.I have never been near a Rolls Royce before, but I once owned a 1962 Ford Falcon manual shift car and one time something about the shift linkage got out of synch.I opened the hood and I played around with the shift linkage under there.I don't remember what I did, but I got it back in synch. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Usually a trouble free part. It is a servo shifter, so there could be an electrical problem at the shifter or the servo at the trans or the wiring in between. I'd check the plug on the trans servo for a bad connection or broken wires first.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

Well whaddaya know. This wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

nate

Reply to
N8N