Re: E30 Air conditioning

That's all I'd have done if it were mine. AIUI all a/c systems will eventually stop working through gas leakage. If yours has lasted a few years, the chances are that a proper service, evacuation, and a refill wth gas and oil will have it working again for at least a year or two. Mike

You are overlooking one BIG thing here. If this is an unmodified system, it uses R-12 refrigerant. The expense of keeping a a leaking system full would be significant. I would find it, fix it, and fill it.

I'm not overlooking anything. All car a/c systems leak. What matters is how quickly they leak. If the OP's system has only leaked over a period of years, the chances are that all it needs is evacuation and a refill with gas and oil. Maybe it is an unmodified system, designed for R12 gas, but that doesn't mean it can't be refilled with a suitable alternative. R134a 'can' be used, but not at the same pressure as it is in a R134a system. Even if it only lasts for a year, it would still be cheaper than the cost of converting an R12 system to R134a specifications. In any case, asking to have it refilled with an alternative gas is probably the easiest way to find out if the a/c is still working, as any serious leak would show up in the process. It would probably cost just as much to have an a/c engineer check it. Mike.